Select a Salad is the top carrot supplier in Gauteng. Please get in touch with us by clicking here to get your quote now.
Let us share some information with you about this extremely healthy vegetable:
Origin and characteristics
Carrot is a vegetable which will be easily recognized by its bright orange colour. This vegetable is believed to come from Afghanistan and Iran, although it was extended over time worldwide.
Carrots taste delicious; we could define the taste of carrots as sweet and nutty. The beauty of this vegetable is that, even raw, they are food of flavour and they can be fully enjoyed as a healthy snack.
Carrots can be cultivated during the coldest months of the year, which it means that this vegetable is available through the year.
If you love carrots, keep reading here because you are about to find out all the great health benefits associated to eating this vegetable:
- Carrots are full of antioxidants, which are great to maintain a healthy looking skin.
- If you suffer with high blood pressure, start consuming carrots as the amount of potassium contained in this vegetable, will assist you keeping your blood levels under control.
- Carrots will balance the acidity and alkalinity of your body thanks to the amount of alkaline elements in this vegetable.
- For healthy looking hair and nails, carrots are your best allies.
- This vegetable is well known for contributing towards healthy eyes.
- Full in fibre, great to improve your digestion and preventing heart diseases.
We mentioned above that eating raw carrots is great to enjoy the flavour of this vegetable to the fullest. Especially for those on a diet and feeling hungry at all times, carrots will be your best snack. These will make you feel satisfied and there are no restrictions on the consumption.
We have decided to dedicate this space to a delicious winter recipe, full of flavour, nutrients and ideal for the coldest days of the year:
Ingredients: 3 tablespoon of butter, 6 or 7 carrots already peeled and sliced, 2 chopped onions, 1 teaspoon of mince ginger, 2 cups of chicken stock, 2 cups of water, 3 strips of orange zest and chopped fresh parsley.
Method: Cook the onions and the carrots in melted butter with a teaspoon of salt. Once the onions are brown, add the stock, the water, the ginger and the orange zest leaving it to cook for 20 minutes until the carrots are soft. Remove the orange zest then and poor the boiled mix in the blender until it is smooth.