Select a Salad is the top asparagus supplier in Gauteng. Please get in touch with us by clicking here to get your quote now.
Let us share some information with you about this delicious vegetable:
Origin and characteristics
Asparagus is a spring vegetable. It has a delicate flavor and diuretic properties. The softest texture and the stronger flavor are found in the tip.
It can be found in three different colors: white, green and purple. However, the most common one if is the green variety.
November is the beginning of the asparagus season in South Africa. It is best to consume this vegetable during the summer months, as this is when the taste of this vegetable can be enjoyed to the fullest.
There are many health benefits which have been listed for this vegetable. Do you want to know more? Keep reading:
- Asparagus is rich on glutathione, a compound that contributes the defeasance of free radicals, resulting on the protection of the body against some kind of cancers.
- Asparagus is full with antioxidants, great to slow down the aging process.
- The amount of folate in this vegetable assist on the fight against cognitive decrease. Another anti-aging property of this delicious spring veggie is that it may help our brains fight cognitive decline.
- Asparagus is known to be a natural diuretic, which assist with the elimination of fluids and the excess of salt. Great for those who suffer with high blood issues.
There are different ways to cook asparagus, but the most common technique is steaming, which is also great to keep all the minerals and vitamins contained in this food.
We suggest you try the two following recipes. Very quick and easy, but absolutely delicious!
- Grilled asparagus with olive oil, lemon and Parmesan: grill the asparagus; squeeze lemon juice over and a generous amount of olive oil. Grate parmesan cheese and enjoy it!
- Steamed asparagus with French vinaigrette