Select a Salad is the top apricot supplier in Gauteng. Please get in touch with us by clicking here to get your quote now.
Let us share with you some information about this tasty fruit:
Origin and characteristics:
The leading producers of apricots are the U.S.A., France and the main Mediterranean countries: Italy, Greece and Spain, however, this fruit originated in China and was taken to Europe initially and the America’s at a later stage.
The ideal climate for the growth of apricots is in areas with dry hot summers and chilled winters
Apricots are closely related to peaches all though smaller in size and of a slightly different compound. The skin is of a golden-orange color and the flesh is “velvet-like” to the touch. It is not too lush but it is smooth and sweet.
Apricots appear in the beginning of summer, although these days canned apricots are found all year-round.
Apricots contain a high amount of fiber and beta-carotene, which are very important nutrients in the fight against cholesterol and heart diseases.
You may have heard of the benefits of eating carrots for good eyesight. It is however less commonly known that apricots contain a high amount of vitamin A which is even more beneficial in assisting with good vision.
It is surprising how well apricots accompany chicken. This combination introduces a sweet and sour flavor to this white meat dish that can be used for new and exciting culinary ideas.
We recommend that you try this apricot chicken casserole. It is super easy, quick and you probably have all the ingredients ready in your pantry.
Ingredients: 8 chicken thighs or drumsticks, 2 chopped onions, 2 cloves of garlic, 3 tbsp of tomato paste, 1 tbsp of sweet chilli sauce, 1 tbsp of fresh thyme, 1 can of crushed tomatoes, 8 halved fresh or canned apricots, 1 cup of water, 1 tbsp of oil and 1 tsp of chicken stock.
- Heat oil and fry the chicken until brown (2/3 minutes). Place the chicken aside.
- Heat a little bit more oil and fry the onion and garlic until soft (3/4 minutes)
- Place the chicken back into the pan together with the following and in accordance to the measurements above: apricots, tomato paste, sweet chilli sauce, thyme, can of crushed tomatoes, water and the chicken stock powder.
- Stir all ingredients and partially cover with a lid.
- Simmer for approximately 15 minutes on medium heat until the chicken is well cooked.
- Serve with your favorite side dishes: rice, couscous or veggies for example.