Select a Salad is the top brinjal supplier in Gauteng. Please get in touch with us by clicking here to get your quote now.
Let us share some information with you about this popular vegetable:
Origin and characteristics
This vegetable is known in different countries with a variety of names: brinjal, eggplant, eggplant and melongene among others.
Both the skin and flesh of brinjal can be consumed. The flesh has a spongy texture and a slight bitter flavor.
This vegetable is available in markets throughout the year, although it is at its best during summer months.
As well as other vegetables of bright colors, brinjal offers great health benefits. These are some of the key benefits that will make you love this vegetable:
- Brinjal is a great ally to treat constipation and gastritis. This vegetable can actually strengthen the stomach of those who suffer with complicated digestion issues.
- Brinjal is full of water which is great for a healthy looking hair and skin.
- It has been proven that this vegetable can assist keeping the mind healthy as it avoids the damage of cells in the brain.
- Taken at night and baked with a little bit of honey can assist curing insomnia.
Melanzane is a classic recipe from the Italian cuisine. It is absolutely delicious, full of flavor and ideal when planning on cooking for a group of guests, as buying all the ingredients won’t affect you pocket too much.
Ingredients: three big brinjals, one big onion peeled and chopped finely, 1 teaspoon of crushed garlic, 1 teaspoon of dried oregano, two cans of plum tomatoes (880 grs), one handful of fresh basil, three of grated parmesan cheese and 3 of breadcrumbs, a little bit of oregano, olive oil, salt and pepper.
Method: Follow these steps:
- Slice the brinjals in 1 cm thick slices and grill them until soft.
- In the meanwhile fry the onions until soft together with the garlic and the oregano. Once the onions are ready, add the tomato and leave the mixture to simmer for 15 minutes.
- In a earthenware container, pour a thin layer of tomato sauce, followed by one layer of grated parmesan cheese and a layer of the grilled brinjals. Repeat this exercise until you had used all the tomato sauce, parmesan cheese and brinjal,
- Sprinkle on top some more parmesan cheese and the breadcrumbs in a little bit of olive oil.
- Place the container in the oven and bake at 190 degrees for half an hour or until it looks golden and crispy.